Featured Post

Welcome to the blog!

Hi!, I started this blog quite selfishly and yet not. I had just become a new mum and I needed a space to air out my thoughts. I’ve neve...

May 28, 2012

Introducing....Me! :D



Dear Diary,

its day one! I have lived my whole life learning to love and care for my hair. My mum who is of mixed ethnicity did the very same thing and crucially made sure i could do my OWN hair since I was 7. I hope to do the same for my children. This process has been long and a learning process. I wanted to share a space for people who have babies or children with Afro hair who are struggling with it or parents with mixed ethnicity children as 'hair knowledge' has to be learned from somewhere. So if your mama didn't teach ya hopefully our diary will be the start of your learning process! :)

So there we are in the picture, my brother an I, lovely african brown skin babies, however my and his hair tell the secret that somewhere in our african heritage, we got some European and even a little dash of Indian! whilst living in Africa, there was nothing quite like going to the hairdresser to be told, "gosh there is something not quite right about your hair". What they meant was, my hair didnt have enough kinky-ness to it. My hair is in the middle like so many others, it is curly, voluminous, and soft. It is not typical and has a mind of its own , instead of taming it we just have to learn how to let it grow right so here goes..Below are more hair pictures; I grew and the evolution of my hair progressed.


Here a 7 year old me, all natural, detangled and put in hair bands



After a few years of struggling with relaxer and other illadvisable products, i cut it all off and nurtured a fro:



Here it is the same year when it is just washed and oiled:



The longer it got, the curlier my hair got..a few for you to see:





then I deceided to lock my hair, but my hair was so soft it came out in twists..



but i persevered and finally they came out great!

And now I have full lenght locs


So as you can see it has been quite a journey. I will do my best to update often with styles and products, tips and techniques for caring for you child or child to be's natural hair. i hope you will all follow, share and give feedback.

Next blog : Simple care and styles for your toddler

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your locs, beautiful! Are you based in Norway? If so I want to add you to my Scandinavian blogs list, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luv!I am based in sweden so please do add me..thanks for the support..

      Delete